Tuesday, September 14, 2010

EGG-cellent!


Hi Everyone,

Well we just got back from our Vacation on Sunday...I'm working on Florida Food Special blog but I won't be able to post that until later in the week. So in the mean time I wanted to try something new. I successfully poached my first egg on the first try! It was so much easier than I thought it would be. I admit after watching Julie & Julia I was a bit intimated because she had so much trouble her first time. So after watching video after video on YouTube I came up what I thought would be the easiest way. I hope it works for you like it did for me!


In a medium sauce pan I boiled 2 1/2 - 3 inches of water and then lowered the heat so it is down to a simmer. (If you are poaching more than one egg you will want to use a bigger pan so the eggs have more room). To this water add 2 cap fulls of white vinegar and swirl that around with my slotted spoon. I crack my egg into smaller bowl and GENTLY place inside the hot water...take your slotted spoon and keep your whites as close to yolk as possible by gently nudging the whites over. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes depending on how runny you want your center. *Just to warn you...when you first drop the egg you might see some scary stringy bits floating around, don't worry this happens it is not ruined just keep on going.* When your egg looks set gently scoop up with your slotted spoon (try to avoid the stringy stuff). Place on plate a with a paper towel and dab off some the excess water and carefully slide on your serving plate and add some salt and pepper and enjoy anyway you want.


*If you are making many eggs at once have a bowl of ice water on the side and you can place finished eggs in there, when you are ready for them carefully place them back in the warm water for about 20 seconds until warmed up and serve.

So what kind of dishes can you have with poached eggs:

*Plain Jane is always good a little S&P and a hunk of bread...great breakfast, lunch or dinner

*Eggs Benedict

*Poached Eggs served over baby spinach and crumbled hot bacon strips and lemon vinaigrette

*Huevos Rancheros

* Serve over your favorite hash or home fries
Have an EGG-cellent Day!
-Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment