Saturday, August 14, 2010


Tearfully Delicious French Onion Soup

Seriously…isn’t cutting onions the worst! Overtime I’ve definitely built up a tolerance to cutting them but man…making this soup always gets the waterworks going. This is a great soup to make if you are having a bad day because it at least gives you an excuse to have a good cry. The best part is when the soup is done it is the most comforting dish to eat. Granted I made this recipe last week…in the middle of the hot humid weather, not my brightest idea to date but it was worth it. I hope you enjoy it, let me know how it comes out.

Recipe:
I cut up 1 red onion, 2 Vidalia onions, 1 yellow onion first I cut them in half then in thin slices. In your big soup pot add 2 TBSP of butter or Margarine and 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive oil and let melt together and add in onions let them cook for 2 minutes and add ½ tsp kosher salt, 3 grinds of black pepper, 1 bay leaf and ¼ tsp of dried thyme leaves and let cook for 10 minutes stirring everyone now and then. After the first 10 minutes add 1 ½ tsp of granulated sugar and stir (this will help caramelize your onions). You want this to cook for another 35-45 minutes stirring occasionally, when onions are caramelized add 1 clove of minced garlic and cook on low for about 5 minutes until garlic is soft and not burned. Remove bay leaf and add 2 tsp of flour and let that cook into the onions for 1-2 minutes and add 1 box of *Kitchen Basics Beef Broth *bring this to a boil. Then let soup simmer on low for 30 minutes taste your seasonings to see if you need more salt & pepper depending on your preference.

There are some dishes in this world that just taste better reheated…well this is one of them. Let soup cool to room temperature then refrigerate overnight. When you are ready to eat it bring it to a boil again ladle into your oven proof soup bowls, top with a slice of baguette & 1-2 slices of Swiss Cheese then pop under the broiler until cheese is brown and bubbly...yum!

Ok so you might be wondering why Kitchen Basics Brand because it is made from all natural ingredients…words you can actually pronounce like beef broth, onions, bay leaf etc. I use it for almost everything and it doesn’t taste like canned or artificial soup. If you are feeling super ambitious feel free to make your own beef broth it will be even more amazing…but if you are short on time this is a great alternative.

Another thing I love about this dish is that it is cheap…I made this recipe from all things I had in my pantry…If I had a bottle of red or dry white wine I also would have added a ½ cup to this recipe…but if you don’t have to. Serve with your favorite salad and you have a complete meal. This dish also only serves about 4 people (unless you are me and Jared because we ate the whole pot in one sitting) so you might want to double the batch if you want leftovers.

Savory Regards,
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment